- Make a meal. Our top pick would be Mother's Day brunch made with local and organic ingredients for a lazy Sunday morning. Even better, try these make ahead brunch recipes and guarantee the meal itself will be all about relaxing for everyone involved. Not only will you save gas and money not going to a restaurant, but do you really want to stress over a reservation for Mother's Day?
- Give a gift she'll use. Any green-minded Mom would appreciate a handy little eco-friendly bag like our zippered Rume Mom Reusable Baggie. PVC-free and lead-free, it's also tested food-safe so, like Mom, it can do pretty much anything. This bag is great for carrying everything from snacks to makeup in a purse, bag, backpack, glove compartment, pocket or suitcase. Plus, it's personalized with the word 'Mom' on the front in 50 different languages making it educational and charming, what Mom wouldn't smile at that?
- Pamper Mom. Luxurious Aloe Jojoba Bubble Bath paired with Rice Bran Oil Moisturizing Lotion and a pack of Three Blossoms 100% Soy Tea Light Candles scented with lavender, chamomile and orange blossoms make for a relaxing biodegradable bath experience with pretty, calming scents she's not soon to forget. Top it off with some natural nail polish in one of spring's hottest shades plus a bottle of spray soy remover and there's no need for her to drive all the way to the salon.
- Buy her a drink. The eco-friendly, reusable kind, of course which means tap water in a new bottle. For a sleek-looking stainless steel option go with Oprah's favourite: a double-walled S'well bottle for sustained insulation and beverages that keep cool for literally hours and hours. If a glass bottle in a colourful and funky protective silicone cover is more her style, try the original Lifefactory water bottle screw cap and the new Lifefactory flip cap bottle for travel. For active Moms, collapsible Vapur bottles are a great option for rolling up and zipping into a pocket when empty during a hike, bike or walk.
- Give a hand in the garden. Whether it's a hanging basket, patio pot, window box or even an apple tree in a bag, more greenery can only be healthier for the environment and Mom too. Join her outside and help do some planting. Try choosing native plants for the garden that require little water or fertilizer and no pesticides. A great gift for the oenophile Mom is the Wine Lovers Pocket Garden Kit and for the cat lover, a Wheat Grass Garden in a Bag.
Monday, April 30, 2012
5 Green Gifts for Mother's Day 2012
Mother's Day is a great time to celebrate the one mother we all have in common: Mother Earth. So when choosing thoughtful, loving gifts for Mom keep the planet in mind too. It's easy, it might just take an extra little bit of green thought. Here are five eco-friendly gifts for Mom this Mother's Day to make her smile.