Finally - Summer 2011 is officially here! We're looking forward to some fun in the sun, but hoping to keep tabs on our purse strings. Curiously, money seems to drain from our pockets so easily while out and about in the good weather... here are some sizzling ways to save while going green this summer.
Post by Louise
1. Walk don't drive. It's so much easier to walk in the summer. No worries about umbrellas, boots, bundling up the kids - simply put on your shoes and walk out the door, especially if you're not going far. Did you know 40% of the driving we do is within two miles of our homes? Save gas, save money and enjoy some exercise.
2. Hang out your clothes to dry. Not only will you be saving money on your electricity bill by not using your dryer, but your clothes experience less wear and tear, less shrinkage and they'll smell fresh without any chemicals. Plus the sun is natural whitener.
3. Make your own frozen treats. This way you can control how much sugar your kids are ingesting while keeping cool. Buying natural popsicles and yoghurt pops can add up but these stackable push up popsicle molds are a great option - they don't take up loads of room in your freezer and they let you get creative with different layers, adding in real fruit, etc.
4. Eat local. If you're not planting your own vegetables, pick your strawberries and blueberries locally or visit your local farmers' market. Find your local farmers' market in Canada here. (Check the right hand side bar.)
5. Get cool at your local library. Libraries are free and always cool. Save on your own air conditioning and broaden your knowledge at the same time!
For more greener living ideas, visit eco boutique Lavish & Lime. If you have any thoughts or ideas about going green in the summer and saving money, please leave a comment below. We'd love to hear from you!