The car is packed and the kids are bouncing off the walls to get away. Before you leave home, have a look at your travel first aid kit to make sure it has all the essentials. In addition to bandaids, natural mineral sunscreen and deet-free bug repellent, here are a few natural additions that you really shouldn't leave home without. Safe travels everyone!
- Traumeel Cream - a homeopathic for bumps and bruises, sore muscles and inflammation. Apply liberally to skin, as long as the surface has not been scratched or cut. A must-have for toddlers to avoid those “goose egg” bruises!
- Tea Tree Oil - a natural anti-bacterial for cuts, scrapes, insect bites and athlete’s foot. Just put a little on a cotton swab and apply to affected area. Also makes a great natural disinfectant for cleaning when diluted with a little water.
- Oil of Oregano - a great natural immune booster; also helpful for upset tummies and food poisoning. Try to find pure oil of oregano with no other additives for best result. Take orally (1 to 2 drops) as needed.
- Aloe gel - for sunburn relief and healing. Again, look for the purest form you can find. This is lovely and soothing on a burn; keep it cool in the fridge or cooler if you can.
- Probiotic - a wonderful immune booster; also helpful for upset tummies and food poisoning. I like to mix some into yogurt or applesauce for kids - they will never know it’s there! Look for 6 billion active strain minimum - best kept in your cooler/fridge or purchase the travel form which does not require refrigeration.