When things heat up during the summer, everyone loves to show off their perfectly manicured fingers and toes. Here are eight rules for natural manicures that will leave your nails feeling healthy, fun and flirty all summer long. Learn more during our Healthy Nails Healthy You Facebook Q&A with Ginny Cardenas this Thursday, June 21st, 10am to 8pm PST. You'll be able to ask any questions you like and receive answers from an expert! Plus there will be some fantastic nail care products to be won!
- Hydrate. Keep your nails hydrated by buffing in a bit of oil. We prefer jojoba oil as it is the closest oil to what your body naturally produces. Though we must admit, we are not afraid to slap some olive oil on our nails while making dinner. A mom has to fit in her beauty routine when she can!
- Buff! We love to buff our nails. This technique will help smooth out any uneven surfaces and give your nails a natural shine. It also stimulates blood circulation for healthy nail growth. You don’t need to do it too often, but you will notice a big difference if you add this step to your nail care routine about once a month.
- Sunscreen. Protect your hands with sunscreen. My mom always told me that a woman’s hands can reveal her age. Women are good about protecting their faces with sunscreen on a daily basis but we forget to protect our hands! So slap some sunscreen on in the morning and reapply throughout the day.
- Avoid acetone! There are several products that contain acetone (most removers and several polishes) that should be avoided. Acetone is toxic and can affect the nervous system causing headache, nausea, dizziness and irritability. If that is not bad enough it also damages your nails causing them to be dry and brittle.
- Remove stains. If you have yellow nails from using traditional nail polish you can use a slice of lemon to help remove the stains. Just rub the lemon across the nails and let it soak. Lemon juice is a natural lightener and bleach so it will help restore your nails to their natural color. Are your nails badly stained? Let them sit in a bowl of lemon juice for about five to ten minutes.
- Trim safely. When trimming your nails, be sure to do so after they have soaked in water. This will ensure that you do not crack or break your nails when clipping.
- File in one direction. When filing your nails, make sure you are filing in one direction to avoid jagged, uneven results.
- Be bold. Don’t be afraid to wear bold colors! Scotch Naturals has loads of intoxicating colors to choose from that will help you show off those perfectly manicured nails. Don’t be afraid to swap out your colour often! Our soy based remover and water-based nail polishes allow you to change your polish as often as you change your mood, without harming your nails.